POETRY IS LIFE

 I've read Dike Chukwumerije's posts online for sometime. 

He drew me in even though I wanted nothing to do with him cos I had residual trauma from when his Dad was Minister for Information or should that be Communication. 

But his writing was compelling and entertaining and I'm a sucker for great writing to which I aspire. 

So, I saw when he asked for volunteers to make his trip come to pass and I saw Goblar, erm sorry, Chief Baba Oloja signify interest. 

I promptly forgot about it till Chief tagged me on a post advertising a show. 

I immediately indicated interest cos no way this was happening in Ibadan and I would miss it. 

But the way my social life is structured, I knew someone/ something could show up last minute and try to truncate my planned enjoyment. 

So, I put it down as a must do and kept my fingers crossed. 

As the day approached, I was beset by anxiety....you know how artsy Ibadan people are, hian! That is how tickets will be sold out before you know it. 

So, I sent a WhatsApp message to Chief about getting advance tickets and he told me I could get them only on the day before the show. I could feel my chances of seeing this show slipping away. 

Egbami! 

My Saturday was getting pretty full and I started scheming how to get tickets early.

I had early church which I decided I was not going to make. 

I also had estate association meeting that I had to attend cos I take the minutes.

 And my classmate and friend was in town and we had firmed plans for lunch. 

And when I got the bright idea to ask her, she said yes! Her hubby also knew of Dike and so wanted to come.

So I went to estate association meeting and immediately it ended, I drove to the venue in UI (Wole Soyinka Arts Theatre) and bought tickets.

Phew!

 Imagine my delight when I ran into Dike and copped a picture!

He sounded as warm as I imagined and I had tickets! 

I was so certain it would be full to overflowing so I went to lunch at 2pm as scheduled and tried to get all the gisting and eating out of the way ASAP. 

Like me, my friend is a stickler for being on time and so we
were at the venue of the show by 4:45pm.

Show started on time and I kept looking around in disbelief. It started less than half full and I was proper scandalised! 

In Ibadan!? 

In UI?!

 Really?!

The show was .....beyond words! 

Awesome! 

Beautiful! 

Interesting!

 Thought-provoking! 

Evocative! 

I was overcome with emotion many times and I wanted to scream that everyone I knew wasn't there to experience it. 

Superb delivery of rich words detailing memories and reasons to be proud of being Nigerian. 

I had a sensual response to being reminded of why I am fiercely Nigerian interspersed with visual and enticing music. 

I loved it!

 And so did my friend, her hubby and daughter!

 I felt a small sadness that the theatre was not full to overflowing as I thought it would but I can understand why. 

The people who make up the Ibadan artsy crowd are used to a certain level of comfort and glitz that the theatre lacked. 

But for the crisp harmattan air, it would have been unbearable for me too.

 It was warm and from the sound of the generator I heard through out, no power to run the visibly present ACs.

Thank you Dike! For a phenomenal performance and a really good time! 

I sat through the entire performance even though I was really thirsty but I was so unwilling to miss any of it to go and get a drink. 

Very brilliant show. 

I knew all the songs and loved the dances and enjoyed the visual feast. 

And your voice! 

*swoons* 

you were even apologising about your voice one time....me, I loved the rough raspiness to it. 

Have you ever thought of working with radio? Please sign up for a late night music show! 

It would be hugely successful,  trust me!

This is my 1st blog post in a long while. 

I was reminded by something someone said today about having a blog so I decided to actually write this post instead of a thread on twitter or a Facebook post. 

I hope to tag Dike and I hope this helps to noise this show so that the other performances may be better attended. 

I truly hope you find a sponsor who will bring you back to Ibadan and I will attend again cos I think the show is THAT good and necessary. 

It provokes thoughts and stirs emotions. 

Please, do come back.

I hope this new start to my blogging will last. I truly hope, fingers crossed! 

For the cities where Dike's show is headed, do not say I never did anything for you oh! 

Go see it! You will be glad you did!

To the cast and crew of Simply Poetry, huge thanks for a superlative performance!

Break a leg guys!

Comments