Double Day

Today is one of those days.....those days you wish you could split in two. The enormous responsibility of surviving this kind of day demands that one be SuperWoman so I guess I will make it then because I am variously described as such by admirers, not that they confer any Super powers on me thereby (how I wish!) but they do know it will take a lot more than a Double Day to do me in. Anyway, so its 9th January 2012 and its the first official protest day in my country, Nigeria. The protest started off as a demand to get a very detached government to reverse an ill-timed and bogus 'petroleum subsidy' removal and re-connect with the population, but its since taken on a life of its own (as with these things) to become a demand for an end to corruption in a country where corruption is commonplace especially in government transactions. Also, the government has been such that the population have been squeezed almost lifeless while the officials in government have become demi-gods who have bought themselves untold wealth & immunity and forget the people who put them in their jobs....enough ranting!!!Now the start of this protest is a full day's work if one had no work, but I do and so its already a high octane day, but as if that is not enough, its LSU BCS final gameday!!! How does that concern me, you ask? Weeellll, see, here's the thing, I am currently at LSU for a  nine month research programme and when I first got here, I was informed(that's one way of saying it!) of the religion of football and i tried to remain aloof (I truly tried!) but when those guys just kept winning and winning, it was hard!!! So, now, I became hooked, a die hard fan of the Tigers (geaux!) and Les Miles (fantastic coach!) and so the last three games found me sitting hunched biting my nails and trying to make deals with God on the team's behalf ( I signed those guys up for all kinds of heavenly duty! But they did an awesome job over Christmas holidays (guys, no!not referring to your caroling, that sucked! and i love you, for people who dont, was probably worse than listening to your favorite cat getting strangled in slow mo'). Anyway, I am so prayed out in the days leading to today that its only the promise of my 'kryptonite'.......(yes! ice-cream!) that is going to make me go watch. I thought i wanted to go to New Orleans to watch it but got dissuaded by a description of this weekend when the Saints, the Hornets and The Tigers as well as a sprinkling of Alabama fans will be in town in an already overloaded town and i tactically found someone else to blame for the inability to go....Anyway, that's my double day in preview. The review? Wait for it! Good things come to those who wait!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, would appreciate reading your thoughts....do drop a comment!