My Music

I dont know about you, but music does things to me, in me and for me! And for the longest time, I have been genre-less. I look at people who can say what it is they listen to and ignore everything else and wonder what planet they are from. I am so musically class-less, it should be shameful but I know its cos growing up, I had everything. 

Try growing up with a guy who chose music as his canvass, he would wake up one morning and Fela would be blasting  at Full volume (and I kid you not, full volume!) and the very next, he was listening to Good Women Choir like there was an announcement that christian music had been discovered to save souls and he wanted to get his full quota of evangelism in. I got fed and yes, I meant forcefed every kind of music under the sun. I had no choice, I had to learn what good music is. And for me, its what the music says and how it makes me feel and its the reason I hate to buy albums! 

There are very few albums that have my music on all of it. I usually pick what I want and move on cos no one person can satisfy this girl musically! Some have tried  but none have succeeded, but two women come awfully close, Anita Baker and Whitney Houston! They rock! But so does Mary J Blige, and recently, Adele.
For the men, Luther Vandross, Bebe Winans and Barry White speak my words! Oh! To lie in the bath with Luther, ultimate decadence! Then, Kenny G romances me like no one can....

From my country, Sunny Ade is my all time fave, I like when a guy evolves as he does. Ebenezer Obey speaks wisdom, almost comparable to reading the book of Proverbs. Aimasiko is a word I loved so much, I remember trying to register a company with the same name donkey years ago. I have been blessed by great music from The elegant stallion, Onyeka Onwenu that some people said I resembled even though I think not physically gave me some great tunes also. When that collabo with Sunny Ade happened, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!I was blessed to share my 40th birthday in God's presence with her singing like no man's business.  

In recent times, I am wary of admitting my musical tastes cos people date you and when you are outside range of what they assume your music should be, they immediately begin to hazard a guess at who you are trying to be and I dont like being psychoanalysed especially based on my music tastes, even I know the conclusion can never be good! I get surprised glances and gasps from my students when my phone rings in their presence and they recognize a ringtone and look inquiringly at me as if to say, You listen to this kind of music,ma? and I hear their unasked next question, why? dont you know how old you are? I have since learnt to leave my phone on vibrate mostly.

My daughters think my music taste rocks but what do they know? I like the fact that they pick up music that is not my taste and want me to enjoy it, so I can be hip (what is that? I am cool like that!). We love Lara George and have had many days shouting (cant truly call that singing!) her music out the car. We sing hymns on our way to school and I am so proud that they know all the words to some of my favorite hymns. Showers of blessing and I need thee. The natural progression of our singing is our dancing. We truly dance and sweat and bond like no man's business,we really should film some of our sessions. Now who else noticed 'no man's business' features heavily here? Well, its the phrase of the day,deal with it!

Essentially, my music is whatever I like today and I have had a wonderful day musically today. Woke with two great tunes on my mind and then overdosed on some Anita Baker and Adele. I left out all of my religious music, there's no time enough to tell you, mayhaps I will write 'My Music II'.......maybe, perhaps!

Comments