The case for Twitter

Reading @omojuwa's articles is getting too exciting for me. The guy writes! well! He writes well is what I meant to say. He made a case for God and his lack of non-existence and I thought that piece was brilliant cos I do not have that much staying power to write something that long or well thought out. My mind wanders, plus speaking about my faith gets me all excited and its not a pretty sight to behold cos I get flustered like a new bride and get very emotional and start to jerk in all directions and body fluids start to run everywhere so I try to do it only when I am in the midst of similarly crazy-in-love-with-God folks. Its cool (now) cos I found my purpose in teaching scripture to those who have a faith in God and I rarely cast these pearls before swine except when my Pastor insists on that commission we all have to fulfill. 

Anyway, so this is not a discourse about faith, its actually about Twitter and the brilliant piece by that same author which I think Twitter should totally use as their raison d'etre http://omojuwa.com/2011/twitter-can-you-keep-a-secret/ I stumbled on Twitter much as I did Facebook a long while back and as with Facebook, I signed up and promptly forgot abourrit! Its awesomeness however drew me back less than a year ago, at a time when Facebook was just plain boring for me. Status updates ranged from 'I woke up' 'I am lonely' to 'I want to go to toilet' (eeuuww, TMI!) and I already had a life (in fact, still do!) so I was not very interested in those and so, somewhere in between 'I am alive ' and 'My boyfriend is pretty' (duh!) I checked out Twitter. And discovered conversations that were entertaining and funny and I found out there were some people I actually liked to read their tweets and who managed to brighten the lull and dull ache of reading the really stupid updates on fb and helped me ignore the phenomenally ignorant ones. 
Now @omojuwa ups the ante, he says Twitter can be more than social media and that you can sell yourself and get deals and stuff and I like hearing that, not becos I am likely to apply for and get a job on there, except maybe the World Bank is hiring, but becos I am all for using social media as a means to an end. A lot of people get on Facebook and Twitter just so they can entertain themselves but that kind of use will probably account for less than 10% of what it is capable of. This is why I am so glad that this article was written. Twitter is more than a handle for getting an insight into celebrity lives and finding all the great photos of their sometimes depraved doings (case in point our wannabee BB Porsche photo queen) and while I dont begrudge people their poison ( whatever gets you through the day is fine by me!) I shudder to think one would put so much in (when you factor in PHCN and whatever service provider who wont allow you greatness as @aninoritse says) and get so little out when the benefits could be phenomenal. 

For me, Twitter is a way to keep tabs on what is relevant enough to deserve my attention on Facebook and what news articles I should even bother opening the links to at all. It informs me and entertains me. There was a week when @toluogunlesi warmed my heart every single day with his view of things in his highly interesting way. And then there's @tejucole who describes news items in sentences filled with twists that sometimes are borderline morbid. I am not as discerning as some as to who to follow but my needs are adequately taken care of. I have managed to avoid any twitfights except if the struggle for a certain Pa's affection counts and I yielded to superior weapons when @KathleenNdongmo pulled a frenchie on me. Even I know you cant win in love against the french. The different language and atmosphere makes it a tool that could be anything you want it to be. When you've been on there a while, you understand a wash, a sub and setting p. 

Anyway, my point is this, eventually, you will need Twitter, whether to get  a job or to enhance your other social media experiences, or just to exert influence in one way or the other. Best to do it now and do it quickly! There is no need to postpone the day, Just do it! Do it now! Becos if what @omojuwa says is true, some people may never find jobs and the only reason may be cos they never got on Twitter! Just kidding? Maybe?

Comments