THE REAL NIGERIA 1

I got off the plane after quite a number of people had gotten off. I am lazy like that, I do not stand up immediately the plane door opens for the simple reason that it takes 5-10minutes for people to begin to actually leave the plane. This is why I am always surprised that some people stand immediately, I am not going to stand when I can remain seated! Contrary to the last time I arrived in Lagos Nigeria, the people took their turn to disembark, row after row and I did not realise I was holding everyone up till the lady behind me asked if I was not going to disembark. I looked up and saw a line had formed behind my row. I was surprised pleasantly and I stood up, got my hand luggage from the hatch and walked off the plane into the terminal. 

I expected to be consumed by the heat and had prepared by taking off all extra clothing except the Fulbright T-shirt that I had on. Stepping into the terminal however, I was sideswiped by the heat for all of 10 seconds before the cool claimed me. It was so cool, it would have been described as chilly but for the fact that I had just spent 9months in the chilly belly of America. I walked with the other passengers towards the customs area and was again surprised at how well organized it all appeared to be compared to when I had been here last. Usually travelling with children, I am always favored by nice gentlemen who approach and take me to the head of the queue so as not to stress my children and so I am used to a short wait at the customs. I had  however already psyched myself to wait in line for the longest time and had made a deal with my back to spare me the pain that usually starts in the small of my back when I do surgeries lasting more than an hour, which is pretty much most of the surgeries I do. 

I immediately noted that there were separate queues for Nigerians and others and rolled my eyes at the disparaging way I would get treated even in my own country. I joined that queue and was amazed at how quickly it moved. I was soon standing before the young smartly dressed man who took my passport with a smile and a polite,'Good morning and welcome back, ma'. I mumbled and waited for his pitch ( I knew it was coming!). He looked through my passport, stamped a page and extended it to me with a grin, 'Have a safe trip to Ibadan, ma' and I waited still for his pitch with a mumbled 'Thanks' and a puzzled look. How did he know I was travelling onto Ibadan? Anyway, I am not the type who gives the kind of 'gifts' that are sometimes demanded and so I waited still to hear what he was going to say. He looked up and said, 'Ma, do you need assistance to get your luggage from the baggage claim area?' I blinked and looked up at him and realised only then that he needed me to make room for the next person in line. I walked dazedly away, wondering what just happened? 

I stepped down and retrieved my 3suitcases with the help of another young man with a different uniform but also smartly dressed and smiling politely as he asked if he could help me with my luggage. I asked what the cost was and he smiled and said, 'compliments of the management of the new MMIA' and took my trolley over as he wheeled it past the doors and out the airport. I was shaking my head as if to clear it and realised the changes I was seeing were the reason I was doing so. The hot air hit just as I stepped out of the airport and looked around for my welcoming party. The girls' shrieks made finding them easy and I stepped forward and was enveloped by the loving arms of my boo. He waited as the girls jumped up and down as if we had not parted just 3weeks ago when they had made their maiden American trip. Children! Their dad reclaimed me and did the open mouthed kiss on me, which made the girls shriek even more. They are used to affection between us but always we stopped short of the open mouthed serious necking when they were present and so they were all fired up to see that much of an exchange as was I. I looked up at Mr Right and he looked kinda familiar again.

As we drove away from the airport, I asked how much my husband had given the young guy with the trolley and he told me he offered him 500naira but he refused it with a smile. I looked around as we drove away and engaged our driver in conversation, enquiring about his family and listening to the girls going through my magazines. The older girl is at that age where everything glamorous is appealing and this is why 'The Kardashians' and 'Kendra' are her major fascinations right now. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a difference in the landscape as we drove away from the airport. All the roads had sidewalks and the traffic lights worked and stranger still, were being obeyed! And then even stranger, there was no headache-inducing fast-pacedness to the environment, which always limits my enjoyment of driving in Lagos. It was serene now though and so few people on the roads, it reminded me of the time I spent in Edmonton, Canada. When I went out during the day and thought perhaps the rapture had occurred  as I met very few people on the streets till I realized that most everyone was in their office. It kind of looked the same and my head jerked from left to right as we passed Oshodi. What is going on?

Comments