REPLACEMENT THERAPY

Sometimes, people assume they have a handle on some things but they really dont. They are deluded into thinking they have mastered those things and eventually when they see and evaluate objectively, they understand that those things were actually running them. I have a cure for this and I call it replacement therapy. 

Its based on a simple premise, the same one in use in posh addiction clinics all over the world. You take a stimulus that can be controlled and use it to replace an addiction and before long, the addiction becomes the less strong stimulus and the addicted can make better choices to kick the addiction.

I should know, I am a study in addictive tendencies. I am forever grateful that my folks did not raise me in the Western world, I would not have survived. I would have been medicated for everything from ADHD all the way through to autism! I am therefore eternally grateful for Nigeria where children are raised much like organic chickens given the freedom to free-range and support given in form of regular meals only. All other influences are so that the chicken is good for food for the discerning taste (how did this become a poultry discussion?!). 

Anyway, replacement therapy is something I am very good at and while a lot of people may hazard a guess as to its efficacy, I have proven time and again that it works and is the treatment of choice for all things addictive. It is the reason I find my addictions cute, I can kick them at any time, all it takes is......(yes! you gorrit!) replacement therapy! 

Like when as a child, I was in charge of accounts on my father's farm, I fell in love with money so much, I lost my ability to spend it, my solution? Give all money away, and problem solved! 

Or when I got to Secondary school and did not know the first thing about boys, I was acutely shy and unable to relate except in a friendship mode which seemed alien to these creatures from another planet, my solution? Become the girl of their dreams, and hmmm, who does not remember Nikky Africana School of boys? 

Then there was Vet School, where everyone lamented about the work and its excesses in each of our lives ( or should that be our non-existent lives?!), my solution? Work like there's no tomorrow till I became work and could call up class notes in my dreams. 

When time came to settle down, totally addicted to the notion of romance, I created my world and inhabited it for the longest time, my solution? Face up to what is real and separate the fantasy, can I hear an amen?! 

Even now, when I am well and truly addicted, I am still well able to  replace and unlearn my addiction by replacement therapy which is what makes me wonder if this is what it means when I am  described as sensitive becos I would never have used that word. 

 Replacement therapy is not for sensitive people, they do not have the ability to do the needful especially when the needful is surgical excision of the addictions they grapple with and this is why and how I know I can not truly be described as sensitive. Sensual, maybe, sensitive, no!

What brought this analysis on now? Its just so you know, my sensibilities are not that easily offended and when I commit to an addiction, its usually for the long haul and I am already way past that point in this but if and when you need to walk away, please feel free and understand that I will be fine. I am one of those creatures of the earth like the earthworm who grow and heal better than people know and who finds it unbelievable that people hate the knowledge they can find in pain. And no, its not the same thing as masochism!

Just saying!

Comments