Literary Kindred

May I make a suggestion? 
That was his initial comment. No one knows the day of their visitation, and I never suspected either. My kindred spirit, whispered his way into my heart and literary life and parked there!

I have never met him and he has no desire to meet but he constantly teaches and guides under the guise of learning and I am deeply grateful. There have been influences upon my literary life that seem unwanted and unnecessary, of a truth, that of my English teacher in Secondary school is well known, and that of my father and his collection of books that were always available for reading also stands out but this kindred uses questions to push and prod in the direction I need to go. I want to gush about him but am not allowed and would like to shout from the rooftops what he helps me do but again, I can not. 

So I thought I'd carefully whisper that I am enabled by his encouragement and I am strengthened by his words. His innocence and quiet strength and belief make me wonder if he is certain he is speaking of and about me or someone else. He calls it modesty, I know its just incredulity at being thus revered when I am certain that I am not deserving of any such adulation.

First, I do not see myself as a writer, and this is not only because I do not have the skills I believe writers have but also, I am yet to write something profound and that is because my mind travels a lot faster than I can write and so I usually lose the plot before I can make any meaningful assertion or theory. He would like me to clearly define terms so anyone can get what I am saying. I never ever gave anyone else a thought because I was mainly writing for me. 

Second, I am not very enamoured of the English language. I would like to create a whole new language which has its basis in the sights and sounds and rich mannerisms of my people and which becomes universally acceptable to all people everywhere as the rich language of excitement and joy. English language can be boring. He agrees and everytime I coin a phrase in my excitement, he celebrates it by laughing and using it albeit less excitedly.

Third, I hate mystery. I know its what excites but I can still do excitement without mystery. In my opinion, mystery complicates lives and relationships and makes everything a chore. I believe implicitly that all of our stuff will be made bare someday and trying to hide things just heightens the stakes and makes it pretty easy to become a victim but he is teaching me mystery, demanding it of me and generally making me understand the need for mystery and the use of the unspoken elements of writing, sigh!

I can go on and on but I will lose the plot as I am wont to do and so this is just to thank you, Eze, for friendship across the distance and help like no other. I am aware that you are a writer and somewhere in my maze of living and scribbling about my life, you see writing and want to encourage and impact me and hope that by so doing, I may become a writer, but my dear, I am who I be. And am very grateful and thankful for what you do.

Comments

  1. Thank you for accepting the fact that you are indeed a writer. Now continue to write because you are you are yet to put in black and white those hidden treasures of imaginative and analytical thought.

    Write on, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear brother,
      thanks for your kind words. I am learning and will probably get there sometime......watch this space!

      Delete
  2. FANTASTIC WRITE UP AS USUAL! Niks, your friend Eze must be quite a brother but if u cant shout and gush about all the things u feel from the rooftops, are u sure uv done enough justice to this write up, isnt that what this post is about??? You should always go the whole nine sis. From the way u talked about him, it seems he does not jive and I ABSOLUTELY CONCUR WITH ALL THE THINGS HE SAID ABOUT YOU.Keep it up sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah!But I am learning of the consequences of going the whole nine yards and becos I am not a writer yet, I cant accept all the responsibility for it. Friend mi, you are of the number of angels!

      Delete
    2. Really, i aint got wings sis, but maybe Eze does.

      Delete
  3. Please what are the unspoken elements of writing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unspoken elements of writing are those that the writer leaves to the reader's imaginative abilities and allows them to partner with him/her in determining how far the book will go in a bid to interprete to the reader, what the writer is trying to make the reader understand. Its the reason some people can read a book & get a deja vu feeling of haven been there or done the same thing and its sometimes acutely frustrating for the reader when the writer will refuse to allow them run with their own imagination, by stating explicitly what is, rather than allowing them find out based on their own experiences, gorrit?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, would appreciate reading your thoughts....do drop a comment!