SUKUDI


I became aware of him when we had to go and drop him off 2 nights in a row, at a boysquarters, somewhere off the well trodden paths in UI, talking about that time seems a betrayal of confidence somehow so I wont go into it. He drank Fanta, and smoked and I always wondered at that his combination.

One time, he wanted me to go and get her from her room in Queen Elizabeth Hall and I obliged and thus witnessed the very early days. Too much time has elapsed but one cant have too much of a good thing, so I ask for multiples more.

Akinlolu Chukwudi, best man for my husband. If there was any doubt that men love each other, these two erased it from my mind! They are firm friends and I daresay, will be for the longest time! He shocked me once when I asked if he was my friend and he looked me in the eye & said, ‘No! I am Bola’s friend’. Matter of factly, without apologies, proven time and again in action more than words. Always in support, can be counted upon to see it from his vantage. You can be sure his take will match my Adebola mi’s.

I have known him for more than 20years and every single time, he has had Bola’s back. From the times when I felt really upset becos they would go hang out at  a bar till all hours, return home and spend the next 3hours in front of the house in the car, through the painful difficult teething period when everything riled me, and then onto the years when Bola was away & he became ‘in loco husbandis’ for me but always preserved my reputation by never allowing even  the slightest occurrence that could be misconstrued. To counseling sessions, both ways, till we agreed-let’s just stop talking about leaving cos we both know we are not going anywhere as we love them to bits. To recent times of being an egbon to me in ways not a lot of people can understand.

When Bola was away, I learnt to do a lot of ‘male’ stuff by myself but he never let me if he was aware. I remember once, trying to go to work, and the car had to be jumpstarted cos it seemed the battery was flat. I called, he said, come and when I got to his office, I asked what I was going to do, he walked out with me, changed the battery into his car and asked me to go to work. I cried all the way to work but was further surprised when later in the day, he sent a driver to retrieve his battery and replace it with a brand new one, at no charge to me! Needless to say, this was not the only time it happened, what? Am female, how am I to know what goes on under a car hood?

He is my earliest memory of someone standing up for me in my marriage against every wrong assessment, cant say more! He is just such a Big brother to me!

He got married 10 years ago today. I remember the day clear as if it were yesterday. My hubby left home in shorts to make sure everything was fine. He did not get to change until late at night. He worked so hard all day and when the dancing began, I teased Akin to come & dance with me as everyone knows he cant dance! My hubby became very agitated becos I was 9 months pregnant at the time. But doctors were many in the house & I was fed up with being so bulbous (this is where the expression land train was birthed). I secretly hoped it would happen sometime that day to add some drama to their wedding day but nope, it didn’t!

He is a rejoicing of my heart, to know he sees my hubby clearly, knows him intimately (not 14year kind oh!), yet loves him dearly, I am eternally grateful! He is such a dear and I am very glad he is.

Having breakfast with him yesterday, we talked as we sometimes do and I marveled at how change had been kind to us, but mostly by placing us around each other to help each other through. His better half, Funmi is too much of a darling! ( makes me wonder how she got stuck with him?!! #justjoking!) She is quiet, unobtrusive and very charming! She supports and makes his life so easy that I find he is sometimes unaware that she is the reason he has it so easy.

Please raise a glass with me and toast , Akinlolu and Funmilayo Ajayi-Obe, 10 years and counting!!!

Blessing God for Ife, love & fruit of two of the finest I know!

Comments