Boarding School 1

I am scared but not worried. I am not worried because I know all will be well but I still get scared because this is new and uncharted territory for me. 

I have been a mother for a few minutes now but being a mother whose daughter has to go to boarding school is a totally new (and frightening!) experience. I know I have learnt to be away from my daughters for periods of time and we all coped (and are still coping with the consequences) but to be home and living a regular life without my baby is a new (and I say again, frightening!) experience for me. 

I am writing this about 4weeks before she has to go to school and I just know I am the one who will miss her the most. 

The baby who opened my womb, the one who made being a mum so very easy that I got a rude awakening with her sister! Everything about her is fabulicious! From conception, when I was feeling really unwell and was advised off-the-cuff by a dear friend to take a pregnancy test before using any anti-malaria drugs. Moi, who had been previously infertile had been unaware that I was pregnant! 

That story still warms my heart. I stayed home and sent hubby with a urine sample to the test place cos it was near his office. He had been given the result but had left it in the car after a careless glance and not understanding what 'positive' meant, went on with his day. I shook my head when he told me over the phone (NITEL line) that it read positive and lowered my hands as I was about to swallow the antimalaria pills.

Her birth was pure pleasure, for me and I guess all of our relatives. One day we were dancing even though hubby severely warned me about doing so as he needed to rest but we danced ( I was prepared to walk long distances to ensure she dropped as I was tired of carrying her around and talking to, without seeing her. It had been an exciting and very entertaining 9months with me being unable to quit being me, hubby growing tension lines and generally having the time of my life, I was ready to 'drop',way past ready in fact, but no one wanted to take any chances, what with me being an older primigravida.

Anyway, D-day came at the best time possible, the pain brought instant alertness at about 7am, and we got ready & made it to the hospital after a detour to inform the consultant that it was that time. All the doctors and nurses assumed wrong! Being a first-timer, they thought I would not deliver till much later. Hubby was still filling forms in when a doctor friend who strolled by & delivered her came out to say, 'Congrats!' He thought he was having him on and came in to see me, flush with pride at 9:05am (barely an hour after we arrived at the hospital), pretty babe in hand. 

Its been a roller coaster of experiences since and I truly cannot say who has been more blessed, or had the most fun, I truly don't know.

Been running around like a head-less chicken trying to get all she needs ready and hubby knows to let me be. While I am aware that boarding school now is different from what I had, memories of school still turn my insides to mush every time I think about it. I am grateful, its a girls-only school and a good one, I am told. Hmmmm.......

Stay tuned!

Comments