HARD DAYS....and the lessons!

Hi! You've reached the voicemail of Nike Akioye, I'm currently unavailable to take your call but if you leave a short message with your details, I'll try to get back to you in a timely fashion. Thanks, Have a great day!

That was probably what my sister heard when she called to let me know it was that time. That was a year ago, today.

Mum passed on a year ago after a ten year battle. What she battled is clearer now aside from the health issues. I have learnt (before now) that there are two ways to learn lessons, either from seeing what is done and copying the same or from seeing what is done and refusing to do the same for different end results.

In the year since she passed, I have learnt new lessons aside those that her life and times taught me.  Some of those lessons learned make crying difficult, others just cause me to burst out in freakish laughter. All in all, here's to you Eliza....

Its no good staying in a bad marriage if you don't benefit from the drama, at least get something from the drama. Hehehehehe!!!

Get a life, children do not demand self sacrifice from you. Do it only if its what YOU want to do!

Family will test even the angel under your halo, it comes with the blood lines, they are the inner circle of your tormentors!

These couple of days are hard, yet they teach valuable lessons;

Mo v1(my Padi) is back to school today. Its been a wonderful couple of weeks but school is important. She wants to travel within Africa and I have made a road trip promise, that was how I got the tears to dry up.

My maid says she wants to go back home and I am gutted but I will not have her here if she feels her work is done here. I have patiently endured stealing, nasty behaviour and AWOL too many times, all the while smiling, hugging, trying while gritting my teeth at being fleeced. I am done.

Its the beginning of a new session, a time when I need a lot of time to concentrate on getting to know a new crop of students and forming a relationship (of sorts) with them, very stressful but very worth it.

The rest is TMI!

Sometimes, I think about how we hear what we want to hear and see only what we want to see and I am grateful for my abilities to see in 3D and hear in 2D.

I am thankful for extended family members who reinforce my life lessons and make me feel the rules I live by are perfect, even though I know they are not, we won't tell them just yet!

I have a whole clan of non-family family members who would willingly give blood if I ask for it but will ensure that I do what is required to maintain my health (so I don't ask for more blood!) Just kidding, love you guys!

Anyway, the sum of a life should be more than a couple of suitcases filled with stuff but those decisions can not be made when that person is no more, so I learned to use my influence NOW! For whoever and whatever, but use it I will.

And when I say influence, I don't mean like I can change the price of fuel in Nigeria or any grand thing but someone's day or walk through here may be made easier or defined properly by coming in contact with me and shape it, I will!

Many ways there are to celebrate a life and remember a passing, some wanted a service of thanksgiving, others wanted a bus and a semi-party, another wanted to visit the grave side. I have even heard of the one who wants a  chapel, all great except she does not care about all those now! She doesn't!

I don't know about the others, I am celebrating by wallowing. I do not care what anyone thinks or says. I am going to be miserably miserable because in hindsight, I do feel a sense of loss that I need to mourn instead of being stoic.

For you, Elizabeth, mother mine, 13/1/13 is a day to remember what challenges you faced, your strengths, your warmth. A day to say, I knew you and I always will remember you.

BTW, I took your photo down, I see you clearly now.....and I will never forget.


Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, would appreciate reading your thoughts....do drop a comment!