IKOGOSI.......

I am expectant that Joxy will write an article. Me, I just rant. 

I have been to Ikogosi before, many years ago, I forget the year now. I know we had trudged there from the Boys' & Girls' Brigade camp at Akure. I remember this because I had taken a tumble and damaged my nose. The scar is less noticeable nowadays. So, when she suggested it as a meeting point I was all for it. In addition, the girls had complained about not knowing Nigeria and Africa but they knew the US and England. I wanted to show them my beloved country. I went to work to try and set this meet up.


The plan was, go to Ikogosi, sleep over and then, leave the following day. As a pragmatic holiday planner, I needed to work out a budget. Le hubby is strict about budgets. You cannot ask for 40,000naira and then return and say it will amount to 43,000naira, he does not take kindly to such incompetence and knowing this, I wanted to let him know ahead what it would cost to do this.

The web sites advertising the Ikogosi Warm Spring Hotel do not have information for those trying to plan a holiday. Yes, it details the sights and attractions but nothing about what it will set you back to enter the resort, have a meal or any such like. This I found highly disappointing. I immediately took my search for information to Twitter and asked for help. A Nigerian friend resident abroad searched me out some sites that were supposed to have information, unfortunately they had no such information. He called several of the numbers on the websites and none worked.

In frustration, we tried another website, the Ekiti State Tourism Development website http://www.ekititourism.com/ikogosi.php  which also provided no information. Almost desperate at this time, my friend counselled against taking the children there. He advised me to try Obudu. I explained about the truly short holiday and how important not stressing everyone out on this first try was to me. Eventually, a young man called me stating that he was the PA to someone (I had switched off at PA) and then proceeded to explain why the sites were not fully operational. The phone cut out at this point, and I called him back immediately. 

He gave me part of the information I needed which was that rooms cost 12,000 and 16,000 and there was a suite we could also have for 67,000 but which was (cough!) in use by the Governor at this time. There was no information about entry fees to the Warm Spring Resort. I tried hard to explain the need for improved publicity, he justified this by explaining the lack of readiness of the Hotel and Resort all of which grated on my already frayed nerves.  We talked and talked and the telecommunications companies were not kind that day. After a length of time of trying to make him see reason I hung up. That time, we had been talking on my credit, and I chose not to throw good money after bad. KMT! His final word had been that I should call him at a more fortuitous time to get lectured some more......yinmu! I do not think being given a talk on the incompetent handling of the media hype that should have been ongoing was worth my time, or money, so I did not bother to call him back.

Anyway,  our plans almost did not work but we hung in and made it there. All I can say is.......I am saddened by the incompetent manner in which such a money spinner is being handled. And aside of the money, such an awesome treasure, with the heavy investments should be better managed to say the least.


Upon our arrival (me and my troops), I had asked the staff that I met why the website had little or no information. Their response was (again) that it was due to the yet to be fully operational mode in which they were running but I am of the opinion that the hype should have built up prior to its being fully operational so as to guarantee its full-to-capacity status post launch but what do I know? I may have no business acumen other than that which passed to me at birth as a daughter of Ijebu but common sense also made me believe this is not the best way to run this place of monumental value. But maybe it was just of value to the likes of me?!


She arrived, with her troops, we all hugged and proceeded to enter the resort. I had discovered a pretty amphi theatre and it had brought back memories of watching stage plays at University of Jos. We explored it, taking pictures, getting comfortable with each other. Then we went to pay our way in and if memory serves me right, adults paid 500 naira each and the children paid 300 naira each. We were a 'small' party of 6 adults and 5 children. We paid at the gate, attempted to go and get the vehicles we had arrived in and got a shocker! It was at this point we were told that we had to trudge a long distance of about 2 kilometeres to where the spring was. Did I mention that I hate physical exertion? Why make people suffer and sweat to come to the spring? I was not amused! Its a long winding road to the spring and there was parking space! But we were told, NO! Cars do not go beyond this point! Humph!


In my opinion, the management of the Resort need to rethink this policy. Except they can convince me that its possible that someone will go in there and steal the water source, they need to do one of two things. 1. Allow guests to take their car in for a small fee & have parking attendants to do the parking, or, 2. Make golf carts available that will convey people from the entrance to the entrance of the resort for a small fee.....but making people do that walk is just not an incentive! For me, who never goes anywhere without  a cooler of drinks, and who had tried to bring along fun things for the kids to do as well as my suitcase-sized hand bag, this was sheer punishment!


There were 2 swimming pools filled with sparkling spring water that called to me but I knew if I got in, we would not leave that day so I contented myself with touching the water and I am not sure why, felt crispy to me (RME! How does water feel crispy now?!) . There seemed to be adequate changing rooms and a bar which appeared to cater for all tastes (don't mind me, I did not even go near it!).

Who advises people who run relaxation spots about loud crass music? Who?! Because whoever it is, had gotten to Ikogosi before us. The beautiful music of nature and the sonorous tones the water makes as it tumbles over  the natural landscape was ruined by the very crass and ear-jarring music blaring from the speakers that had been strategically placed to ensure that no one within a 15 kilometre  radius had any hearing left after a while.


Our eyes were assaulted by the refuse that had been scattered everywhere and it saddened us that people could come to such a beautiful place and leave their trash behind. There were bins around but as with all things Nigerian, everyone assumes that the right thing will be done! It may be a better idea to have staff go around perhaps hourly picking up litter. A notice to the effect that those who litter will be prosecuted may not be out of place. 

The serenity that my spirit found in this place, sitting, gisting or just panting was very therapeutic. I most definitely will be back there and I am hopeful that by the time I do go, some of the issues will have been dealt with and maintenance of the place will be kept up. I left out the restaurant experience we had because I couldn't do it justice if I tried. I do trust Joxy. She will be writing about this hopefully and I know if she chooses to write about our restaurant experience, I will be laughing so hard! 

Please go visit Ikogosi Warm Spring Resort! Please!!!

PS-I had help with this piece. It could not have been written without Joxy's patient editing skills. She outdid herself being very patient with my tantrums. I am sure she will let me know how this postscript could have been better written. Nothing but love, sis......

Comments

  1. Lovely post. I enjoyed it. Made my American evening.

    - Ikhide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Its only this way cos Joke did the edit. You know how crappy my writing normally is. Still, thanks! I'll let her know you think she edits well too.....

      Delete
  2. Pa Ikhide attracted me to this beautiful piece of writing that I really did enjoy. But I think you left out something too, how could I get to Ikogosi without a direction? lol:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww,thanks for the beautiful compliment! And you are right about me leaving gaps. A dear friend who edited this to make it readable is going to write a better expose....I hope you'll get to read hers too! Again, thanks! You are so kind.

      Delete
  3. Quite an engaging read. Good write up. Thanks for spurring my already piqued interest on Ikogosi. Hope to visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that. Do enjoy when you make the trip and let me know what has changed!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, would appreciate reading your thoughts....do drop a comment!