Night Dancer by Chika Unigwe....A lazy person's Review

I got the book, Night Dancer as a gift, transported all the way from the 'abroad' by Joxy. Sent to me by my awesome friend Nkem (author of Closer than A Brother....yes! I'm famzing!). 

I tried to find time to read it but sometimes, half a paragraph was all I managed. It brought home to me more and more, how much my life had evolved. I used to be able to read larger tomes in one hour tops and recall 90% of it, verbatim if necessary.....sigh. 

But here I was, unable to read a 262 page book in more than a month despite the fact that I wanted to. Responsibilities of a job, as in work, a second job as in, Mummy and a big issue as in having a huge zest for life conspired against me. I am unable to drift through life. I have to experience it and I try....oh! How I try.

But there was the small matter of this book that I had eagerly looked forward to reading since my time in the US. I wanted to read it for all sorts of reasons. I had read On Black Sister's Street and been hugely drawn into the book's emotional drainpipe such that when I finished the book, I wanted to start again. Not masochism but its authenticity was so......wait, sebi this is about Night Dancer? 

Forgive me, I was just giving you background is all. Another reason is the person and charm and wit of Chika Unigwe herself. I followed her on Twitter and she comes up with some profound stuff from time to time when she isn't tweeting about literary stuff. I am glad I follow her. Totally worth the click. 

Onto Night Dancer, I finally finished the book this morning, after lugging it with me to Poland for a week and back without so much as opening the page, I started in on the book (from where I had stopped previously) when I was plonked down in a hotel without wifi in Dubai. Well, not strictly true, they had wifi but expected to be paid for using it (who does that?). Anyway, I chose to read while sipping their complimentary tea. Liquor also had to be paid for (who are these people?Jeez!).

I loved the book, just in case you had not figured that out. Its the story of many important issues in the Nigerian society (some may even narrow it down and say Igbo but since I ain't and I can identify with them......). 

The maid (usually a poor relation or not, relation that is, always always, poor). The society and its lack of forgiveness on the one hand and its lack of acceptance on the other of a woman perceived to be without a husband. 

I do not use the word 'perceive' lightly because with the Nigerian society, a perception can be all that stands between fame and ruination. A woman, battered and shamed by the man she calls husband is perceived lucky because she is not 'alone' whereas she actually could be, to all intents and purposes, alone, except that society does not grant her that luxury and so, her man gets a free pass to take his delights from her as well as her dignity.

The flip side is the product of a union of such a'perception'. The suffering in this society must be indescribable, but no less real, I imagine. Unfortunately, unless an intervention occurs, a cycle begins which NEVER ends well. Luckily, Mma had such an intervention.

Of the main characters, E was my absolute favourite, with her talk-talk, and colourful personality and especially her ability to take a decision and stick with it and its consequences. I liked that even though it broke my heart that she could not let her daughter develop a relationship with her father but even that, I understand. I do and I forgive, knowing what I do now. 

Rapu, I like the least, for many reasons. I will not be sharing any here so don't hold your breath. But as a character, I think Chika did her the most justice. Very believable, authentic and despicable.   My words, my take, my review....go write-write yours!

Mma.....this is her-story and such a moving one at that. I felt drawn into her life and challenges but I also wanted to spank her several times because for one who suffered the effects of a harsh judgemental society, she was very judgemental of her mother, misunderstood her and even though she comes to at the end, I daresay she lost out on some things she could not fix. 

C is for Chika Unigwe, she can write-write! I love her writing! She draws me in, explores my imagination and extracts bits of me, tethering them to her story and leaving me exhausted when I am done reading. Night Dancer did for me with its theme of Nigerian societal demands on a woman, what On Black Sister's Street did for me with human trafficking and prostitution-made me decide what side I am on if my views were ever required. 

I enjoyed reading this book and hope that soon, very soon, I will be reading another book, a novel, not those boring Veterinary stuff I MUST read in the course of work-work. Yes! I remember, she sent me two books! Off to the next one then! Nkem, this post is totally your fault! And I love you!!!

L is for Lazy. L is for Love......

Comments

  1. I'm saving this book for the summer or at least when I feel in the holiday mode. Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Kiru! You are too kind. You will enjoy, I believe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. Will go get my own copy myself. *side eye*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerrawayu!!! I can loan you mine, now that I 'managed' to finish reading it!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, would appreciate reading your thoughts....do drop a comment!