7 FEARS


I imagine everyone has those things they are afraid of, unable to explain why but still they have a deep seated fear of….cos I do. I thought I’d share mine. I may seem irrational to you but until you share yours, you may not know how needless your fears are…. Anyway, here goes….


1.  I am deeply afraid of poverty….and before you scream; I don’t mean fear in the sense of being without money but being unable to do what I should when I ought. Lacking money for the necessities of life and stuff like that. It scares me. I’m sure you’ve figured I was not born rich but we were not poor. I have experienced lack and  quite frankly, I was not made for that! I may seem driven because of this reason.

2.  I am afraid of sagging breasts…..ehn! Laugh! It’s funny until that ish becomes real! I have nightmares about it and pray constantly for an adjusted attitude before this particular ill visits me. I remember BFF and I talking about this in my room in Louisiana (she had had no idea before then!) and I looked scandalized and admonished her to be careful of things she says cos of angels that were about. This for me is akin to World War 3. Yes, keep laughing!

3.  I am afraid of living the life my mum did….not that she had a bad life. Just that she made a couple of poor choices and they turned out to be significant. Choosing to be a stay-at-home mum, being friendly and kind to the other woman and generally taking a lot of bullcrap from quite a number of people. I don’t play like that oh! I will gut you ni….!

4.  I am afraid of the power Nigeria has over me….I lose my cool where she is concerned. I get stark raving mad and foam at the mouth…you sha get what I am trying to describe? So you can imagine my sadness at her current state and the kind of Captain that has her under his care. He/ Sheem annoy me. Enough.

5. I am afraid of cruelty….it sickens and saddens me. I run. What is the need to be around it? I am pacifist but most definitely not in the face of cruelty. I am Pistorius-pacifist in the face of cruelty. Who needs that? While I am aware that cruel people are troubled and need love and all that serenren….please, let them get it elsewhere! Ain’t nobody gat time for that!

6. I am NOT afraid of snakes…sebi you know the Christianese we speak? Yes, I am not! I remember many years ago when I was called in to attend to that humongous snake at the University of Ibadan Zoological Garden. I made all kind of deals with God before I went in. The only thing that saved me was a reputation for being fearless that had preceded me. All the attendants had been told if there was someone who could get it done, it was me, so I stepped in like it was no biggie. Needless to say, I must have existed on something other than oxygen while in there cos the next conscious breath I took was when I stepped out! I am still NOT afraid of snakes….yeah right!

7. I am afraid of failing at anything…..It is the reason I try and try even when everything looks bleak and hopeless. I will try. When I give up on something, it’s because there is no merit in it whatsoever anymore, as far as I am concerned and it is why…oh! nvm!

I try to imagine the fears of those young children, held against their will, subjected to unimaginable horrors and my fears pale in comparison. Please #BRINGOURDAUGHTERSBACK!!!

Comments