LESSONS MY AUNTY TAUGHT ME.....

I have few influences. The reason is, I was born old. I am early forties going on 200...and no, no relation to the vampires, real or Twilight-inspired.

But my aunt is was a big influence on my life. Not in the sick way that a group of people who have nothing better to do than to blame others for their issues think, for reasons best known to their brand of lunacy. It was just that I envied her such a lot and so I learnt the nice things she did and tried to do them but y'all know how successful I was with that....yeah woreva!

While we cleared her vast things, I learnt that I was similar to her in more ways than I knew. It gave me deep satisfaction to imagine I could attain to such perfection. For that is how I viewed her. Not because I was unaware of her humanity but because I am a sucker for anyone who is able to look beyond imperfections and love like she did.

The things I took away from being the second daughter of her eldest brother included learning that even though humans are imperfect, you can relate with them still. She was such a buffer for my birth family's inter-relationships that during the days of celebrating(?) her passing, I heard again and again from so many relatives, many of whom I cannot say how we are related but whom I knew because Aunty mi said we were, asked me for my contact details so they would keep in touch.

She taught me to be discerning, amiable and approachable. She said it was important to apologize quickly when you are wrong and usually I was! She bemoaned my lack of patience constantly and agreed with me that I was badly behaved but not irredeemable.

Actually, the last time we were together, as I talked, she listened and nodded approvingly and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

She was the picture definition of the Nike logo, Just do it! She simply did what was right to do and did not bother with naysayers and those ones who would not do and would obstruct those in the process of doing. They differ from naysayers in my book. They are infinitely worse!

She was a lot more than I knew for the past week has been an overwhelming revelation of a Mother Theresa-esque persona. While I knew she was great, I underestimated her greatness.

Even while I refuse to deify her, I speak of her as the far end of all the great descriptives I know, I am so glad she was mine for the short while....it was waaaaaaaay shorter than I would have liked but I am rested in God's sovereignty and His goodness.

THAT was the biggest lesson I learnt from her!

Comments

  1. That's my mum she is talking about...something to be proud about today

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, would appreciate reading your thoughts....do drop a comment!