REASONS TO BE PROUD...

Phew! Its been a coupla tough days there, with me beginning to feel like Job's kid sister with the loss of family members and a ton of other unpleasant stuff turning up almost lined up but this girl believes so much in God's goodness and enjoys such grace that my smile keeps turning back up every time stuff makes it drop...

Anyway, my blogpost isn't about any nastiness. I sort of belong to a church in Ibadan as a long distance member (what is that?). This is because I lurve the church and the set man. He is such a cool guy and when he speaks, I feel like he gets my excitement about God and is enjoying the same kinda rich experience. I have made some jokes about him and will not even dare repeat them here *insert holy scowl*

This church holds a program every August. A special program. Designed for Girls. Just Girls.
I remember when my Mo v1 was still a tiny tot, I heard about this program and thought it was pretty cool. I couldn't wait for her to be old enough and she attended for the first time, I believe, 2years ago. You would think I had died and gone to heaven.

I was so excited, I couldn't keep still and every day she returned and I queried her to find out what she had learnt. She made friends, heard some stuff for the first time and had a beautiful time by her self with several other girls, she shared stories of so many girls and I was so moved I went on to pray for some of them after the program and I remember feeling so proud of this my church and this vision.

In my opinion, THIS is part of what church should be about. I remember going to drop her off and having her lil sister in tow and how excited that one was when she was told that if she knew either her home address or mother's telephone number, she could attend.

The girls are taught life skills, they share in groups with the teachers, some are taken aside for counselling if need be. For days after, my daughter shares stories of some girl or the other and I remember being  amused at her incredulity at some of the things she heard. Naive somebody!

I have enjoyed watching them interact with girls of all ages and make firm friends.

Please if you have daughters and you are in Ibadan, I know this notice is short but please let your daughters attend this year's August Girls and I promise you will become a believer.....

I have gone and seen even girls in hijabs and when I say 'believe' please understand I do not mean conversion to a new religion but a conversion to the thought that girls need to be nurtured and built up so that the nation may get better....and you all have to admit our nation is in dire need of this.

So, come tomorrow, please release your girls aged 11-19 to go to Vine Branch at Mokola from 10am till 4pm to enjoy experiences that I believe will stand them in good stead all their lives.

Kudos to Pastor Mrs Bridget Kolade whose vision I believe this is and the numerous women (don't remember if I saw men among them) who give their time and of themselves to these girls year in year out!

I have many reasons to be proud I am a long distance member!


Comments