Planning

I like to plan. Not that it makes me a necessarily great planner, but does that stop me planning?!

I can plan! I can plan to plan sef. Shey you sha get my drift? I can plan for Africa! Which is why I am trying to help y’all. You know how they say those who fail to plan, plan to fail? I don’t want you to fail in 2018. 

So, plan, come, let me teach you how to plan. It really does not matter what you earn, just know that planning can save your life. I am still learning but my willingness to take care of what I can aids me when what I can’t take care of happens.

So, you are an adult. I mean 18+. Plan to take charge of your life in 2018. Accept responsibility for yourself. Don’t go around blaming anyone for anything that happens to you. You will find it easier to solve your problems and will see many people look at you with a new appreciation for this singular reason. Kindly note that it does not preclude you from asking for help when you reach the end of your strength. Just know that it is important that you step up to life first.

Budget for your life. Plan to pay rent, even if you live at home (whether you are over 50 and live in your father’s BQ or you are in your thirties and still have the same room you were born in), the idea is that you act responsibly and put the money aside. Time will tell whether you will use it for rent or it will be a welcome layby for a rainy day. If you live by yourself, include expenses of living by yourself ( power, water, waste management, security) all of which can add up to a tidy sum. Not planning ahead for these expenses can put a strain on your monthly life. Especially if you earn a regular sum every month. For those who don’t, my advice is to pay as many months’ worth when you earn more so that when you earn less, you are not stressed.

Decide what level of well-being you desire and aim for it. For the young, target activities that will keep you fit and active. For the middle-aged, aggressively schedule exercise and medical check-ups. It may sound like one is tempting fate but most ailments are best handled if detected early so it is wise to go and get tested and taken care of than wait to try and recover from anything. For the old, pace yourself, slow down, do less, and enjoy watching others take up your slack. Nurture someone to do what you used to and derive the enjoyment from watching them do it with the same measure of fascination you used to and counsel them to do it better.

Be proactive about your relationships. You know that friend who always waits till you say something before unloading a truckload of gist on you? Don’t be that friend. Stay in touch with family and friends. A text, a short note, e-mail, or a call. I wonder why voicemails are not popular here in Nigeria? They would save us so many calls. And don’t be tempted to just forward a WhatsApp message. Don’t! If like me you feel overwhelmed when you open a message and it continues beyond the screen and I have to scroll and scroll, all you will get is an eye roll. I won’t read it and may never open whatever you send to me again. And if you send any message that requires me to forward to remain alive, happy or demonstrate my love for someone, all that does is make me question your sanity. Don’t!

Plan to achieve something. It does not have to be big, just done by you. When you plan, ensure that you have different goals per time. Aim for an overall goal and then the little tiny pieces that will add up to that whole also. I call mine, short, mid and long term goals. I write about them regularly and I read them when I am feeling like I am not doing anything with my life. It steadies me. Sometimes, I read them and feel really dumb and other times, I read them and wonder who wrote them but I am very self-deprecating so never mind. Not a great example but hey, you get what I mean.

Plan your self-improvement. The thing you struggled with this year, that you think is the singular reason you did not do as much as you desired this year, plan to beat it next year. Search out a strategy and do weekly, monthly check-ups to see how you are doing. You can share with a trusted friend so they hold you accountable. And stay true to the best version of you that you desire.

Plan your entertainment. Reading, partying, holidays and treats. Plan it oh! I am one who loves to read but did very little this year cos my scheduled reading-for-entertainment time was taken up by other things. It is one of the things I am taking back in 2018. I will read for my enjoyment and no one will stop me. And of course I will travel, money permitting. I have found a solution to vacations that are difficult to achieve due to lack of time or money. Staycations where where I am becomes my holiday destination and I find fun stuff to do and daycation where I take a day off and pamper myself into holiday mode. But I am still holding out for a Maldives holiday when my HRN has the time. I need him along to capture the great moments on camera now!

Plan your spiritual time. I cannot dwell too much on this because as a people we already spend too much time here. I would advise, try for quality this year instead of quantity. Search the scriptures for yourself and spend quality time meditating and having conversations with your Creator. Take deep introspective walks into your mind and aim for zen more and more. Then ensure that you can show your faith through your actions more than your words and affect the world with what you have found as you learnt for yourself.

I over plan so don’t worry too much if this seems extreme to you. Just do as little or as much as you desire. That is part of what you must plan to do more of in the New Year. Read all these blogs and do only what appeals to you!

Now, go and live! There are still quite a few days before 2017 is over! Use them well!


Comments