The Nigeria we want

I was asked by a classmate to prepare a speech/talk for my secondary school alumni convention (FGCJosA Uyo 2019) and I had begged off. But because I am a worrywart and did not want to be unprepared if the eventuality became reality, I scribbled something.
This is that something.

Hoped to avoid saying anything here, this was just a short getaway from my sometimes stressful job as a lecturer at the First and Best University in Nigeria.
But when Oga Uwais told me and I declined, thoughts in my head started swirling around.

My thoughts can be a problem- Questions I hope to avoid keep me up at night.....
When will Nigeria change?
How will it?
Why is it the way it is?
And how can I contribute to make the change happen?
Then, those evil(?!) thoughts  said- here is an opportunity to make change happen.
I believe in the power of one...
One woman,
One girl,
One man,
One boy.

We have complained for far too long about bad leadership and I want to turn your attention to something else......

Bad followership!
US!
WE!
The ones who do know better but still do less than good. We who choose the sidelines when we see the wrong thing being done.
Who smile and say, 'this guy'! 'You bad oh'!

We who have received so much from Nigeria but scoff when she asks for something in return.
Our time, our values, our speech, our sweat.
We who choose rather to do what another country needs and forget we were not attractive to those countries until  Nigeria had invested in us.

Please note! I am not saying don't go and make a life for yourself but see, the life will be a little less worth it if you forget to return to invest in Nigeria.

Ask those who left in the 70s and 80s. Too many of them return even though they hear scary stories.
I'll tell you why.....
Yorubas say ile l'abo sinmi oko.
Loosely translated, the home is where you find rest after labour at the farm.
And this is so true!

Personally, I have made choices to return every time I had opportunity to leave.
I do not make that choice easily or blindly nor do I attempt to foist that choice on others but my blood is green and I am an incurable optimist.

I see a better Nigeria.
In my head and heart.

She stares back at me with tears in her eyes.
What is immediately clear is that bad followership unacknowledged can sink Nigeria.
Every time we choose the easy path rather than the needful path.
When we reason how we and our children could thrive in Canada or Europe.

Please do not misunderstand me.
I am not saying don't go.
Please get me right.
I am saying please go with the intent to come back better and if you choose to stay, be involved.
Do what is needed.
Don't shy away from what is required.
Nigeria has given far too many of us so much.
The least we can do is help her heal.
Refuse to allow bad leadership be the death of her.
Be a good follower.
That's all!


And oh! By the way, Uyo 2019 was all I wanted and more. Including no speech!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, would appreciate reading your thoughts....do drop a comment!