The Middle Daughter-a mini review

I've read a few of Chika's books before this one. 

I always found myself pulled into them cos of the depth of feeling they evoke mayhaps because of the topical issues she circles in them or because I am quick to feel whatever affects women anywhere. 

She describes so vividly that I can almost feel like I am walking through the stories. 

This was no different! 

As I tweeted (posted) on Twitter (X) on the day I finished the book, that is, today, I wanted to wring someone's neck! 

The person changed from time to time but I always had anger for one or the other. 

In this book, three main issues were exploited and the brilliant manner in which they were interwoven made it difficult for me to rush through. 

I read quickly and then chose to savour cos I found there were too many mouthfuls of rich issues to chew through. 

And each one required careful consideration to do it justice. 

There was the very clear cut baby factory issue. 

It was exploited in a manner that made it hard to scream and shout about it. 

Couched as assistance of young girls who had a need and who were assisted by a rich woman who extended kindness to them, it almost feels wicked to not celebrate her help to these girls whom she saved from abortion and allowed them make the right decision after that decision appeared to have been taken from them. 

The irony of this issue that then stole her daughter was not lost on me. 

The second theme is what I wish to call the religious slavery that is rife among faith based organisations nowadays. 

How these supposedly sensitive places are unable to discern the amount of evil being perpetrated within their congregations. 

It dovetails into the third which is the mental health crisis that looms. 

Too many are dealing with rank madness and covering it well because of the insensitivity of the religious bodies. 

As I have heard said, 'many are mad, but few are roaming'. 

The fact remains that very many prey on others based on how unhinged they are and the church is too busy staring at its navel to notice. 

The African pretentiousness that makes us deny mental ill health until it is full blown is a big issue. As the person never comot cloth, e never mad be that. 

I wanted to beat sense into Nani! 

How dare you let this lunatic treat you like this? Sigh. 

How?! 

There is a lesson in there somewhere for a mother whose adult child makes dodgy choices; do not leave them be! 

Get in their faces and show them they are loved, no matter what!  

Being the mother of 2 adult ladies, Nani and Ugo seemed so real to me as did their issues.  

The unresolved trauma of the death of their Father (Doda) and their sister affected the ladies in different ways and was the scaffolding that made that vermin's access easy. 

There are way too many Ephraims in our midst!

I kid you not!

People who in an alternate universe blame you and begrudge you the life you have for reasons that have no root in reality but whose fragile hold on sanity is skewed by religion. 

They are psychotic but able to hide in plain sight because they are able to manage their issues by inserting religious behaviour into it. 

Young adults second guess themselves and others a lot and leaving them be can lead them down a spiral which erodes their self-confidence and strength. 

Their mental health requires a healthy dose of validation from people who love them just because. 

Parents would do well to speak validation to their young adults and refrain from patronising them. 

Vocalise those emotions and when they go through trauma, work through it with them. 

There are several literal roaring lions on the prowl who will take advantage of your child and can change the course of their lives. 

Thankful that this story ended well but so many others never return to the path to life. 

Chika unwittingly spoke of the hypocrisy of the adult woman in dealing with some issues. 

Aware of rape but acting like it does not happen as often in our lives and refusing to engage to enable the one dealing with its effects to process and heal from its effects. 

In the Middle daughter, family dynamics and the interrelationships are laid bare and I daresay everyone will find something to take away from the book as a lesson on how to do better. 

I walked away feeling like I was schooled on how to relate better and the gift she has of drawing us in by her amazing use of words is again on display. 

I loved reading even though I felt so overwhelmed in parts because of raw emotions that threatened to drown me but I survived and I think I am better for it.  

Having an in to an igbo family dynamic is also one of the spinoff treats of this book. 

And I did not miss the prophetic subsidy removal that peeped through!

On the whole, well worth it! 

If you have not read this book, I am here to ask you why. 

If you have, ndo! 

I feel cleansed, somehow.

Comments